Monday, November 23, 2015

Closing thoughts for Sociology of the Digital Age



                Sociology of the digital age was an interesting classroom and I am kind of sad that we have only gathered together in the classroom five times this year. I think it is important for us to explore how technology affects society, so that we may become more responsible about how we use our skills. My main focus in the information systems field is on security. It is important for me to understand the impacts of technology for several reasons. First, the difference between a white hat hacker and a black hat is their ethics and I would rather be a white hat. Second, the hacker’s strongest tool is social engineering. A knowledge of sociology can help me recognize a hackers attempt to manipulate people as well as know what they are trying to do.
                I did not see eye to eye with everything we have learned and some things were kind of hard to swallow. Digital dualism was one of those theories I found kind of outdated. I just could not swallow the concept of us having no interaction with the real world while we are engaging in online activity. I also could not believe that our online actions could have no impact on the material world. This caused me to immediately adopt the opposing idea of augmented reality. One of the hard truths to swallow was when Dr. Cohen told us that we have to learn to accept the animosity that black people hold against whites because of slavery. I think that slavery was an awful and barbaric practice, but I believe that holding all whites responsible, more than one hundred years after the practice has ended, is only furthering the divide between the races and promoting racial inequality. I personally am unaware of any slave owners in my ancestry and for all I know, we have immigrated after slavery was abolished. It feels insulting that I would be held accountable because the color of my skin and what country I was born in. Though I was not so infuriated, because Dr. Cohen had a point, the racism is there and the people who hold it have a good reason not to trust white people. I just hope that, in time, the hate will finally fade away.
                I did learn a few new things in this class and have found a few concepts to walk away with. I think the most interesting was how innovation has stagnated in first world countries, such as America. I had no idea that many of the greatest inventions were occurring in Africa, yet it makes perfect sense. They have more important problems to solve, ones essential to their survival. Here in the United States, we are trying too hard to find problems to solve for all the wrong reasons. We do it for marketing, to make a buck, rather than to actually overcome the hardships in our lives. Truth is, we don’t know real hardship like those in third world countries. Another thing this class has done for me was change my view on slacktivism. At first I thought it was lazy and accomplished nothing. However, after researching and writing my last blog, I have realized that slacktivism can lead to stronger support of an idea.
                I have thoroughly enjoyed this class and it makes me want to join a group that debates sociological issues and the impact technology has on them. I say this because I find it fun to talk about and I am one of those people who likes to argue for the sake of making progress and exploring new views. If there is anybody in my class, or any of my friends who have read my blog, who feel the same as I do, I would be happy to form such a group with you. Maybe we will be able to change the world for the better with our observations and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment